Architecture, Engineering and Planning
VPWA is offering opportunities for both individuals and groups to contribute in the fields of Architecture, Engineering and Planning in Ghana. Several non-profit organisations, including VPWA, are engaged in construction projects in Ghana. We would welcome the technical support and skills of architects and engineers who can volunteer to help implement these projects.
Volunteers need to be trained in this field (as detailed below), plus meet the following requirements.
We are looking for volunteer engineers to assist us with local community construction projects such as schools and sanitary facilities. You will work within a government department or non-profit organisation where you will contribute to the development of Ghana’s infrastructure.
Are you an urban planner? Could you use your skills to help manage growth in a developing country? We have an opportunity to place you within a department of Ghana’s government where you can contribute to the development of Ghana.
Are you an architect keen to see how your skills can help a developing country? Get in touch to find out more about how you can use your experience to make a difference.
If you are a new graduate or current student in the subjects of Engineering, Planning or Architecture, VPWA can offer you the chance to gain valuable experience in the field.
Volunteer Requirements for Architecture, Engineering and Planning
- At least 18 years or older
- Good spoken and written English
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong commitment to values and principles of volunteerism
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to adjust to difficult living and working conditions
- Strong support and advocate for NGOs
- Should be able to work independently and in teams
- Ability to respect and abide by the rules of the placement activity
|Project Duration||No duration limit|
|Dates||Placements available year round|
|Cost of Living||Refer to Living Conditions and Cost section Visit www.xe.com for the current exchange rate in your local currency|
|Deposit||Registration Fee of of 150 Euros required to secure placement Total Payment required 90 days before arrival|
|Location||Greater Accra and Eastern Region of Ghana|
|Nearest Airport||Accra Airport (ACC) – (also known as Kotoka International Airport)|
What’s Included in the Project Fees
Registration Fee (Non Refundable if you choose not to go)
- Application Review and processing
- Administration costs
- Visa Support letter
- 24/7 emergency support from VPWA
- Program marketing costs
- Pre-departure information
- Travel costs to VPWA programs
- VPWA Education & Health Fund and communication costs with volunteers
- Airport pick up
- Accommodation and evening meals during volunteer placement period
- In-country 24/7 volunteer support
- In-country administration costs
What’s Not Included
- Airfare to Ghana
- Visa Fees
- Vaccinations and immunizations (please speak to your local GP)
- Personal insurance (required)
- Personal spending
- In-country travel
Volunteers working on VPWA projects live in Greater Accra and Eastern Region. Please confirm your project location with our coordinator. Volunteers live in shared rooms with bunk beds. Couples are advised to inform us if they wish to share a room in advance. The rooms have comfortable beds with pillows and covers, so there is no need to bring sleeping bags. The volunteer apartment has a kitchen with fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
Additional Services Based on Availability
- Basic TWI language orientation (Special Fees apply)
- Mobile phone SIM card number on arrival, so that you can inform family and friends of your number in Ghana
- Certificate of Recognition given to hardworking volunteers, as well as the opportunity to serve as VPWA ambassador in your city, college or community. You need to write a volunteer report covering the period of placement to qualify for the certificate which has the endorsed logo of the United Nations Global Compact.
Health and Safety
Ghana is one of the safest countries in Africa. In the Global Peace Index it is ranked above both the United Kingdom and the United States of America. It provides a perfect introduction for first time volunteers to Africa. It has a democratic electoral process and a stable economy. Our team will ensure your health and safety at all times and you will have emergency support 24/7.
Volunteers must arrange their own flights to Accra Airport (ACC). Please be aware that you should communicate your arrival date and time to Volunteer Coordinator. The following airlines fly into Accra:
- Alitalia (Lagos, Rome-Fiumicino)
- British Airways (London-Heathrow)
- Delta Air Lines (New York-JFK)
- EgyptAir (Cairo)
- Emirates (Abidjan, Dubai)
- Ethiopian Airlines (Abidjan, Addis Ababa, Lagos, Lome)
- Ghana International Airlines (London-Gatwick, Dusseldorf)
- Kenya Airways (Nairobi, Freetown, Monrovia)
- KLM (Amsterdam)
- Lufthansa (Frankfurt, Lagos)
- South African Airways (Johannesburg)
You must obtain a volunteer visa for travel to Ghana. Once you have secured your place on the project and made a deposit we will send you a letter confirming your placement for use in your Visa application.