If you want to volunteer as a group we offer some fantastic group programs that will give you an unforgettable shared experience. These programs can be tailored to accommodate any number of people.
Whether you are a group of college students, a sports team, a group of friends or work colleagues, we can design a program to give you a truly original volunteering experience in Africa.
Volunteer Partnerships for West Africa (VPWA) can also offer groups of five or more volunteers the option to custom-design their placement so that it is tailored to their goals and interests. These programs can last a couple of weeks or several months, depending on how much time you have.
Why not combine a team-building exercise with a project that will enhance your organisation’s Corporate Social Responsibility? We have a number of projects in which we can bring people together to work for the benefit of others in the developing world. In the past we have hosted professionals in our Child Care Projects where they worked in orphanages, both looking after the children and developing the project facilities. We have also hosted groups of colleagues in our Community Housing Projects, in which they have helped to build homes for indigenous people in rural communities.
We have a whole host of projects that are directly relevant to undergraduate subjects and can provide a group of students with an unparalleled and unforgettable experience. Our Conservation & Environment projects (Green Ghana) are perfect for Geography, Botany, Biology, Herbal Medicine or Plant Medicine students who are looking to get some practical experience. Those pursuing English or Media Studies will gain experience on one of our Journalism placements. Those pursuing law and human rights can complete a placement on our Human Rights, Legal & Justice project.
High School Groups
Sport, Music and Art Groups
In the past we have hosted high school students on a variety of projects during summer or winter holidays. Our coordinators will arrange all aspects of the trip, from accommodation to weekend trips and will provide supervisors and 24 hour support.
If you would like to participate in an overseas tour where you can really put your skills to good use then we have a whole host of projects where you can coach, teach or otherwise impart knowledge to enthusiastic groups of children and adults here in Africa.
Volunteer Requirements for Group Volunteering
- At least 18 years or older
- Good spoken and written English
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong commitment to values and principles of volunteerism
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to adjust to difficult living and working conditions
- Strong support and advocate for NGOs
- Should be able to work independently and in teams
- Ability to respect and abide by the rules of the placement activity
|Project Duration||No duration limit|
|Dates||Placements available year round|
|Cost of Living||Refer to Living Conditions and Cost section Visit www.xe.com for the current exchange rate in your local currency|
|Deposit||Registration Fee of of 150 Euros required to secure placement Total Payment required 90 days before arrival|
|Location||Greater Accra and Eastern Region of Ghana|
|Nearest Airport||Accra Airport (ACC) – (also known as Kotoka International Airport)|
What’s Included in the Project Fees
Registration Fee (Non Refundable if you choose not to go)
- Application Review and processing
- Administration costs
- Visa Support letter
- 24/7 emergency support from VPWA
- Program marketing costs
- Pre-departure information
- Travel costs to VPWA programs
- VPWA Education & Health Fund and communication costs with volunteers
- Airport pick up
- Accommodation and evening meals during volunteer placement period
- In-country 24/7 volunteer support
- In-country administration costs
What’s Not Included
- Airfare to Ghana
- Visa Fees
- Vaccinations and immunizations (please speak to your local GP)
- Personal insurance (required)
- Personal spending
- In-country travel
Volunteers working on VPWA projects live in Greater Accra and Eastern Region. Please confirm your project location with our coordinator. Volunteers live in shared rooms with bunk beds. Couples are advised to inform us if they wish to share a room in advance. The rooms have comfortable beds with pillows and covers, so there is no need to bring sleeping bags. The volunteer apartment has a kitchen with fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
Additional Services Based on Availability
- Basic TWI language orientation (Special Fees apply)
- Mobile phone SIM card number on arrival, so that you can inform family and friends of your number in Ghana
- Certificate of Recognition given to hardworking volunteers, as well as the opportunity to serve as VPWA ambassador in your city, college or community. You need to write a volunteer report covering the period of placement to qualify for the certificate which has the endorsed logo of the United Nations Global Compact.
Health and Safety
Ghana is one of the safest countries in Africa. In the Global Peace Index it is ranked above both the United Kingdom and the United States of America. It provides a perfect introduction for first time volunteers to Africa. It has a democratic electoral process and a stable economy. Our team will ensure your health and safety at all times and you will have emergency support 24/7.
Volunteers must arrange their own flights to Accra Airport (ACC). Please be aware that you should communicate your arrival date and time to Volunteer Coordinator. The following airlines fly into Accra:
- Alitalia (Lagos, Rome-Fiumicino)
- British Airways (London-Heathrow)
- Delta Air Lines (New York-JFK)
- EgyptAir (Cairo)
- Emirates (Abidjan, Dubai)
- Ethiopian Airlines (Abidjan, Addis Ababa, Lagos, Lome)
- Ghana International Airlines (London-Gatwick, Dusseldorf)
- Kenya Airways (Nairobi, Freetown, Monrovia)
- KLM (Amsterdam)
- Lufthansa (Frankfurt, Lagos)
- South African Airways (Johannesburg)
You must obtain a volunteer visa for travel to Ghana. Once you have secured your place on the project and made a deposit we will send you a letter confirming your placement for use in your Visa application.