Three in One Program
Three-in-one volunteer opportunity working with Children. Volunteer on three projects, one location, all with children, make a triple impact even in one week!
VPWA Children Centre
In early 2012, The Founder of VPWA won a Social Entrepreneurship award to implement a program to improve the literacy of children in Ghana. His idea was Street Library. The program which began in mid 2012, visits villages to make books available for deprived vulnerable children.
Children in rural Ghana have no access to reading materials besides the limited text books in their schools. The importance of this concept can therefore not be underestimated. VPWA volunteers have the opportunity to work with children in different locations from Monday to Friday between 3pm to 6pm. More information on this program here.
Through the efforts of past VPWA volunteers, VPWA was able to raise substantial funding in addition to its internally generated funds to construct a children’s centre. At this centre, VPWA provides support and care to eight orphaned children. We have three Ghanaian staff managing the centre and the support of volunteers is needed to provide support in various ways to the development of the children. This includes helping the children with academic difficulties, washing clothing, preparing them for school, supporting in meal preparation, support on the organic farm and organising leisure activities.
Teach in Ghana
Volunteers participating in this program have the opportunity to volunteer in a local Ghanaian school. Academic subjects volunteers teach includes English, science, mathematics and creative arts. Volunteers are at liberty to teach on any subject they feel confident. Volunteers receive an orientation prior to the beginning of placement. If interested to work in the school as part of the 3 in 1 program, you will be expected to start work at 8:00am and finish at 1pm. Monday to Friday.
Volunteer Requirements for the Three in One Program
- At least 18 years or older
- Good spoken and written English
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong commitment to values and principles of volunteerism
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to adjust to difficult living and working conditions
- Strong support and advocate for NGOs
- Should be able to work independently and in teams
- Ability to respect and abide by the rules of the placement activity
|Project Duration||No duration limit|
|Dates||Placements available year round|
|Cost of Living||Refer to Living Conditions and Cost section Visit www.xe.com for the current exchange rate in your local currency|
|Deposit||Registration Fee of of 150 Euros required to secure placement Total Payment required 90 days before arrival|
|Location||Greater Accra and Eastern Region of Ghana|
|Nearest Airport||Accra Airport (ACC) – (also known as Kotoka International Airport)|
What’s Included in the Project Fees
Registration Fee (Non Refundable if you choose not to go)
- Application Review and processing
- Administration costs
- Visa Support letter
- 24/7 emergency support from VPWA
- Program marketing costs
- Pre-departure information
- Travel costs to VPWA programs
- VPWA Education & Health Fund and communication costs with volunteers
- Airport pick up
- Accommodation and evening meals during volunteer placement period
- In-country 24/7 volunteer support
- In-country administration costs
What’s Not Included
- Airfare to Ghana
- Visa Fees
- Vaccinations and immunizations (please speak to your local GP)
- Personal insurance (required)
- Personal spending
- In-country travel
Volunteers working on VPWA projects live in Greater Accra and Eastern Region. Please confirm your project location with our coordinator. Volunteers live in shared rooms with bunk beds. Couples are advised to inform us if they wish to share a room in advance. The rooms have comfortable beds with pillows and covers, so there is no need to bring sleeping bags. The volunteer apartment has a kitchen with fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
Additional Services Based on Availability
- Basic TWI language orientation (Special Fees apply)
- Mobile phone SIM card number on arrival, so that you can inform family and friends of your number in Ghana
- Certificate of Recognition given to hardworking volunteers, as well as the opportunity to serve as VPWA ambassador in your city, college or community. You need to write a volunteer report covering the period of placement to qualify for the certificate which has the endorsed logo of the United Nations Global Compact.
Health and Safety
Ghana is one of the safest countries in Africa. In the Global Peace Index it is ranked above both the United Kingdom and the United States of America. It provides a perfect introduction for first time volunteers to Africa. It has a democratic electoral process and a stable economy. Our team will ensure your health and safety at all times and you will have emergency support 24/7.
Volunteers must arrange their own flights to Accra Airport (ACC). Please be aware that you should communicate your arrival date and time to Volunteer Coordinator. The following airlines fly into Accra:
- Alitalia (Lagos, Rome-Fiumicino)
- British Airways (London-Heathrow)
- Delta Air Lines (New York-JFK)
- EgyptAir (Cairo)
- Emirates (Abidjan, Dubai)
- Ethiopian Airlines (Abidjan, Addis Ababa, Lagos, Lome)
- Ghana International Airlines (London-Gatwick, Dusseldorf)
- Kenya Airways (Nairobi, Freetown, Monrovia)
- KLM (Amsterdam)
- Lufthansa (Frankfurt, Lagos)
- South African Airways (Johannesburg)
You must obtain a volunteer visa for travel to Ghana. Once you have secured your place on the project and made a deposit we will send you a letter confirming your placement for use in your Visa application.