VPWA is seeking enthusiastic volunteers and interns with skills in project development, fundraising, grant writing, marketing/promotion or project monitoring and evaluation. We hope to work with people who have the ability to think critically and analytically in order to come up with results oriented solutions to social problems. We have the following opportunities available at VPWA head office.
Fundraisers / Grant Writers
Project Development is the bedrock of VPWA. It ensures community engagement and the sustainability of the projects we implement. If you have the skills required to handle Project Management and Development in the fields of Conservation, Construction, Food Security & Agriculture, or Research & Advocacy, then you are an ideal candidate to apply for this position.
A lack of funding is a major challenge for organisations in Africa. VPWA is seeking volunteers with experience in fundraising or writing grants to help us raise the needed funds to meet our project priorities. This role could be done onsite at VPWA’s head office or online from wherever you are in the world. The role involves researching and applying to potential grant opportunities on behalf of VPWA. It will also involve approaching businesses to encourage them to support VPWA in line with their CSR initiatives.
Marketing / Promotion
For our projects to succeed we need to ensure that the people in the local communities in which we work are informed about the projects and can become engaged in them. We need people who can promote VPWA’s projects and news via appropriate channels to communicate our message at a grassroots level.
VPWA organises a lot of events, such as community workshops and training days. We are especially well known for organising a very successful annual Inter-school quiz and valuable health outreach programmes. We need people who have event management skills to help us with our programme of events.
Accounts and Finance
Do you have basic administrative skills? If you can use the internet, use MS word, proofread documents and take meeting minutes, you could volunteer at VPWA’s head office as an administrative assistant.
Do you have experience in accounting and finance, particularly within non-profit organisations? If the answer is yes, we’d love to hear from you.
Volunteer Requirements for NGO Management
- At least 18 years or older
- Good spoken and written English
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong commitment to values and principles of volunteerism
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to adjust to difficult living and working conditions
- Strong support and advocate for NGOs
- Should be able to work independently and in teams
- Ability to respect and abide by the rules of the placement activity
|Project Duration||No duration limit|
|Dates||Placements available year round|
|Cost of Living||Refer to Living Conditions and Cost section Visit www.xe.com for the current exchange rate in your local currency|
|Deposit||Registration Fee of of 150 Euros required to secure placement Total Payment required 90 days before arrival|
|Location||Greater Accra and Eastern Region of Ghana|
|Nearest Airport||Accra Airport (ACC) – (also known as Kotoka International Airport)|
What’s Included in the Project Fees
Registration Fee (Non Refundable if you choose not to go)
- Application Review and processing
- Administration costs
- Visa Support letter
- 24/7 emergency support from VPWA
- Program marketing costs
- Pre-departure information
- Travel costs to VPWA programs
- VPWA Education & Health Fund and communication costs with volunteers
- Airport pick up
- Accommodation and evening meals during volunteer placement period
- In-country 24/7 volunteer support
- In-country administration costs
What’s Not Included
- Airfare to Ghana
- Visa Fees
- Vaccinations and immunizations (please speak to your local GP)
- Personal insurance (required)
- Personal spending
- In-country travel
Volunteers working on VPWA projects live in Greater Accra and Eastern Region. Please confirm your project location with our coordinator. Volunteers live in shared rooms with bunk beds. Couples are advised to inform us if they wish to share a room in advance. The rooms have comfortable beds with pillows and covers, so there is no need to bring sleeping bags. The volunteer apartment has a kitchen with fridge, as well as toilet and shower facilities.
Additional Services Based on Availability
- Basic TWI language orientation (Special Fees apply)
- Mobile phone SIM card number on arrival, so that you can inform family and friends of your number in Ghana
- Certificate of Recognition given to hardworking volunteers, as well as the opportunity to serve as VPWA ambassador in your city, college or community. You need to write a volunteer report covering the period of placement to qualify for the certificate which has the endorsed logo of the United Nations Global Compact.
Health and Safety
Ghana is one of the safest countries in Africa. In the Global Peace Index it is ranked above both the United Kingdom and the United States of America. It provides a perfect introduction for first time volunteers to Africa. It has a democratic electoral process and a stable economy. Our team will ensure your health and safety at all times and you will have emergency support 24/7.
Volunteers must arrange their own flights to Accra Airport (ACC). Please be aware that you should communicate your arrival date and time to Volunteer Coordinator. The following airlines fly into Accra:
- Alitalia (Lagos, Rome-Fiumicino)
- British Airways (London-Heathrow)
- Delta Air Lines (New York-JFK)
- EgyptAir (Cairo)
- Emirates (Abidjan, Dubai)
- Ethiopian Airlines (Abidjan, Addis Ababa, Lagos, Lome)
- Ghana International Airlines (London-Gatwick, Dusseldorf)
- Kenya Airways (Nairobi, Freetown, Monrovia)
- KLM (Amsterdam)
- Lufthansa (Frankfurt, Lagos)
- South African Airways (Johannesburg)
You must obtain a volunteer visa for travel to Ghana. Once you have secured your place on the project and made a deposit we will send you a letter confirming your placement for use in your Visa application.